Join the House of the Dutch Provinces (HNP) on the 9th of February 2023 (16:00 – 17:30) in Brussels for the Plastic Panel Discussion!
Plastics are a wonderful product if designed, produced and used more intelligently. How do we ensure their sustainable and circular use? Together with our panelists, regional political representatives, MEPs, the European Commission, stakeholders and businesses, the House of the Dutch Provincies will discuss the future of plastics and use this afternoon to provide input on the latest EU proposals and our HNP Position Paper.
To discuss the relevant plans, ambitions and remaining challenges on circular plastics at the EU, national and regional levels, we are organising a panel discussion bringing together key stakeholders for circular change. Which solutions or best practices on circular plastics already exist in our regions? Are we on the right track to achieving the European Commission’s objectives to reach circularity and climate neutrality? What obstacles need to be overcome in order to create an EU level playing field? And how do these proposals affect our regional chemical clusters?
The programme of the afternoon will consist of the following:
15:45-16:00 | Walk-in and registration
16:00 – 16:10 | Opening & Key notes
- Opening by moderator Mara Bubberman, chair of the workgroup Circular Economy within the House of the Dutch Provinces
- Opening words by Dutch Regional Minister Tjisse Stelpstra – Regional Minister dedicated for Circular Economy at the House of the Dutch Provinces
16:10 – 16:45 | Panel 1: Regional perspectives on plastic proposals
- Towards a Circular Europe – Mr. Werner Bosmans, representative of the European Commission (DG ENV)
- The Netherlands and Circular Economy in Europe – Mr. Rob Cornelissen of The Netherlands Ministry of Infrastructure and Water management
- Regions and Circular Economy – Mr. Tjisse Stelpstra, Regional Minister Northern Netherlands, Province of Drenthe & Rapporteur Circular Economy Action Plan at the Committee of the Regions
16:45 – 17:00 | Q&A, exchange of views with panelists
17:00 – 17:20 | Panel 2: Plastics in practice – chemical industry
- Ms. Els Boesveld, Policy advisor Circularity & Industry for the Province of Zuid-Holland
- Ms. Monika Banka, Policy and Network Coordinator at the European Chemical Regions Network (ECRN)
- Ms. Daniela Sani, Sustainable Innovation Office of ART-ER (Regional Agency for technological development) Emilia Romagna Region
- Mr. David Carroll, Advocacy Director for Plastics Europe in Brussels
17:25 – 17:30 | Conclusion by moderator
17:30 – 18:30 | Networking drinks
The Plastic Panel Discussion will take place on February the 9th, from 16:00 – 17:30 in Brussels (Trierstraat 59-61, 1040 Brussels, Belgium). Fill out the following registration form to ensure a place at the Plastic Panel Discussion. We only have a maximum capacity of 80 people, so be sure not to miss it! The registration will be open until 3 February 2023.
Join this interactive discussion and share your ideas and perspectives!
As Dutch provinces, we value cooperation with likeminded regions and support the creation of an EU level playing field for circular products and plastics. We therefore welcome the European Commission’s proposals of 30 November 2022 on packaging and packaging waste and the framework on biobased, biodegradable and compostable plastics, as part of the Circular Economy Package II. In line with its Green Deal objectives, the Commission aims to make all packaging fully recyclable by 2030 and reduce packaging waste in the EU by 15% in 2040.
In response to this package, we publiced a Position Paper on two ‘key product value chains’ that pose serious challenges to the circular transition in Europe: ‘packaging’ and ‘plastics’.