Register now: HNP & ITEM Side Event on Energy | 12 October 2022
On the 12th of October, join our online event during the European Week of Cities and Regions 2022! In light of the recent energy crisis, the war in Ukraine and the effects of climate change, this event focuses on how we can accelerate the energy transition through cross border cooperation.
The House of the Dutch Provinces (HNP) and Institute for Transnational and Euregional cross border cooperation and Mobility (ITEM) are pleased to host their second annual side event during the European Week of Cities and Regions (#EURegionsWeek) 2022. Click this link to register.
In light of the recent energy crisis, the Russian invasion in Ukraine and the effects of climate change, this event will focus on how we can accelerate the energy transition through cross border cooperation. We will showcase examples of interregional cooperation between the Netherlands, Flanders (BE), North Rhine-Westphalia (DE) and Lower Saxony (DE). On the basis of our shared experiences, we will present cross-border possibilities and solutions with our closest European neighbours, in addition to the 27 national energy initiatives.
Date: 12 October 2022
Time: 16:00 – 17:30
Location: Online (link will follow)
This is a side event during the #EURegionsWeek 2022.
The event will consists of three panels, with a variety of panelists.
(1) How can cross-border cooperation speed up the energy transition and what is needed to realize this?
- Melissa van Hoorn Regional minister for Energy Transition and Climate Adaptation of the Province of Groningen, NL
- Filip D’havé General Representative of Flanders in the Netherlands, BE
- Dr. Tobias Traupel Director General – European and Legal Affairs
Ministry of Economic Affairs, Industry, Climate Action and Energy of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia, DE
- Gundela Nostiz Head of Department Energy and Climate Protection at the Lower Saxony Ministry for Environment, Energy, Building and Climate Protection, DE
(2) Besides the Green Deal, Fit for 55, REPowerEU, what other EU policy initiatives are needed to accelerate the energy transition on a regional level?
- Bas Eickhout Member of the European Parliament, The Greens/EFA, NL
- Rosalinde van der Vlies Director Clean Planet at DG Research & Innovation of the European Commission
(3) What could be the role of the industry and science together to fasten the energy transition within the current geopolitical climate?
- Philippe Adriaenssens Policy Director at the European Round Table for Industry
- Thaddeus Anim-Somuah Engineer, Climate Pact Ambassador at the European Commission and Future Energy Leader & Board Member at the World Energy Council
- Martin Unfried Senior Researcher at ITEM, Maastricht University on European environmental, regional and cross-border policies
Femke Boersma, Huis van de Nederlandse Provincies