Energy transition & cross border cooperation
The House of the Dutch Provinces (HNP) and Institute for Transnational and Euregional cross border cooperation and Mobility (ITEM) are pleased to host their second annual side event during the European Week of Cities and Regions (#EURegionsWeek) 2022. Click here to register.
In light of the recent energy crisis, the Russian invasion in Ukraine and the effects of climate change, this event will focus on how we can accelerate the energy transition through cross border cooperation. We will showcase examples of interregional cooperation between the Netherlands, Flanders (BE), North Rhine-Westphalia (DE) and Lower Saxony (DE). On the basis of our shared experiences, we will present cross-border possibilities and solutions with our closest European neighbours, in addition to the 27 national energy initiatives.
The event will consists of three panels, with a variety of panelists.
(1) How can cross-border cooperation speed up the energy transition and what is needed to realize this?
- Melissa van Hoorn Regional minister for Energy Transition and Climate Adaptation of the Province of Groningen, NL
- Filip D’havé General Representative of Flanders in the Netherlands, BE
- Dr. Tobias Traupel Director General – European and Legal Affairs
Ministry of Economic Affairs, Industry, Climate Action and Energy of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia, DE
- Gundela Nostiz Head of Department Energy and Climate Protection at the Lower Saxony Ministry for Environment, Energy, Building and Climate Protection, DE
(2) Besides the Green Deal, Fit for 55, REPowerEU, what other EU policy initiatives are needed to accelerate the energy transition on a regional level?
- Bas Eickhout Member of the European Parliament, The Greens/EFA, NL
- Rosalinde van der Vlies Director Clean Planet at DG Research & Innovation of the European Commission
(3) What could be the role of the industry and science together to fasten the energy transition within the current geopolitical climate?
- Philippe Adriaenssens Policy Director at the European Round Table for Industry
- Thaddeus Anim-Somuah Engineer, Climate Pact Ambassador at the European Commission and Future Energy Leader & Board Member at the World Energy Council
- Martin Unfried Senior Researcher at ITEM, Maastricht University on European environmental, regional and cross-border policies
- Registration: Form
- Date: 12 October 2022
- Time: 16:00 – 17:30
- Location: Online (link will follow)
- Language: English
In 2022, the 20th edition of the #EURegionsWeek will take place from October 10-13. The week is especially devoted to European regions and regional policy. During this week, representatives of regions and cities from all over Europe will gather in Brussels, including politicians, administrators, experts and academics.
Four themes are central this year: the green transition, territorial cohesion, the digital transition and the empowerment of young people. During this week, partners can organize events and answer the question: how can we as regions contribute to these major issues? More events during this week can be found on the official website.